What is a Himalayan Salt Lamp?
Real Himalayan salt lamps are hand chiseled solid blocks of ancient crystal salts. They have a beautiful pink color, often pinkish orange, due to the high concentration of minerals.
Inside the hollowed out middle of the salt lamp is a light bulb to generate both light and heat. This is important for their reported benefits and salt lamps won’t work properly without a heat-producing light.
Himalayan salt lamps also come in decorative baskets of crystal salt, with a light and heat source underneath that creates a soft pink glow.
Himalayan salt lamps have reported health benefits including:
- Less colds and flu (due to less airborne viruses).
- Increased relaxation and calmness and less stress.
- Improved ability to concentrate and work for longer periods around electrical equipment like computers.
- Fewer headaches and migraines.
- Reduced symptoms from disorders like rheumatism and arthritis.
- An improvement in skin diseases.
- Easier to get to sleep at night.
- A better overall sense of health and well being.
Holistic medicine uses salt crystal lamps to produce negatively charged ions in the environment through the heating of a salt crystal by a bulb or flame. Salt has the ability to restore the health of the body through the production of negative ions.
Himalayan salt crystal lamps have the ability to provide complementary treatment for several illnesses. Salt lamps help clean the air in the home which can cause the symptoms of these ailments to subside.